Re: what to do with 'em?

Dear Susan,

I show my framed art and my artist's books.  I love showing them
all, and don't care if I don't sell any because, like you, I make my
living teaching.  One of the most difficult things for me was getting
over the "result" and the "end product" part of art.  I had to learn to
love the process.  It was poetry that helped me there -- after all,
hardly anybody makes a living from poetry.  So it's all in the joy of
the work and, if something sells or is awarded a prize, that's icing
on the cake.  I teach my students this, too, though it's hard in a
capitalistic, results-oriented society.  But here lies true
contentment, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as what people say, I've had people tell me that artist's
books have too much content, that they make them nervous, that. .
.that. .. but, so what?  Tell them it's for the joy, tell them it's for the
surprises because that, to me, is one of the wonders of artist's
books -- that you never know what you're going to find from one
page to the next, that words are presented in new and strange
juxtapositions, that images serve new functions, that. . .tell them
that it's for love.

Bertha Rogers