copyright

Because I'm a librarian and I look at it from the viewpoint of fair use for
making copies, my take on copyright is skewed in that direction.

I put together a web page that has a strong focus on fair use rights
<http://www.albany.edu/~ls973/copy.html> and it has links to the law as
well as some links regarding getting permission.  One thing I have found
about copyright law from reading it for about 25 years is that it's really
not too hard to understand.  I recommend that anyone who is interested in
these questions to go to the law and read especially section 107, but
reading all of it is quite interesting.

The law is purposefully written so that each case must but judged according
to the fair use factors.  Derivative works are also discussed in the law,
and you might get some insight for your collage work in that section (can't
cite it for you though).

But beyond reading and understanding the law, there is the possibility that
you will be sued, no matter how well within your fair use rights you think
you are.  If the original creator of the work wants to sue you, he/she can.
 The best that you can do is base your rationale on the law and be prepared
to defend yourself in court.  If you don't feel like your argument would
stand up, you should do the best that you can to get permission for
everyone's work you are using.  I recommend that you read the law and
figure out your personal tolerance for risk if you plan to use other's work
under your fair use rights.

Lorre