Re: bookarts & ISBN?

Deb
    if you want to sell in bookstores, you should have an ISBN. The
address I have for the granting agency is
International Standard Book Numbering Agency, 245 West 17th St, NY, NY
10011, (212) 337-6975. This is from a 10 year old book so I don't know
if the address has changed. I'm also going to repost some websites and
books on writing and publishing that I first posted a while ago. I
recommend doing some research before you start. A great book is Dan
Poynter's The Self-Publishing Manual.

in good spirit,
Susan

Writing/ Publishing Websites

American Booksellers Assn.
http://www/bookweb.org/

Bookwire, inside the book business, partners include Publishers Weekly,
Library Journal
http://www.bookwire.com

The Writer’s Resource
http://www.inkspot.com

SPAWN, Small Publishers Artists And Writers Network
http://www.spawn.org

Writer’s Toolbox, Internet Resources for Writers
http://www.geocities/Athens/6346/index.html

Books AtoZ, geared toward production as well editorial, has list of
publishers
http://www.booksatoz.com

*Publisher’s Marketing Assn, association for independent publishers,
present and past newsletters which have helpful articles
http://www.pma-online.org

Children’s Book Council, organization of children’s book publishers,
list of members available with submission info
http://www.cbcbooks.org

Purple Crayon, by a children’s book editor with lots of good advice
http://www.users.interport.net/~hdu

*SPAN (Small Publishers Association of North America)
http://www.SPANnet.org

*Sensible Solutions, site by author of How to get Happily Published,
info on getting published, self-publishing option, and selling books
http://www.happilypublished.com

*Para Publishing, website of Dan Poynter, author of The Self-Publishing
Manual
http://www.parapublishing.com

Writing/ Publishing Books

Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write: How to get a contract and
an advance before writing your book, Elizabeth Lyon, Hiilsboro, Oregon,
Blue Heron Publishing, Inc., 1995, very thorough plan for writing a
proposal

How to Get Happily Published, Judith Appelbaum, NY, Harper & Row,
describes what to do to get published and what to do after to be happy
about it- not a given

Guide to Literary Agents, Cincinnati, OH, Writer’s Digest, published
annually, should be available in reference section of library, costs
about $20.00

*The Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book,

Dan Poynter, Santa Barbara, CA, Para Publishing, a detailed and thorough

guide to self publishing from beginning to end. Valuable for writers and

aspiring publishers

The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to KNow to
Write, Publish, Promote, and Sell Your Own Book, Tom and Marilyn Ross,
Writer's Digest Books, The title is a bit of an oversell, but it's a
thorough and  useful book

compiled by Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord, Box 852, Newburyport, MA 1950
sgaylord@seacoast.com