Re: bookarts & ISBN?

Dear Deb,

        As a Canadian, you should apply to the National Library of Canada for an
ISBN for your productions.  I visited their website
<http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/ehome.htm> and found this statement:

        The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a system of numerical
identification for books, pamphlets, educational kits, microforms, CD-ROM
and braille publications. By assigning a unique ten-digit number to each
published title, the system provides that title with its own, unduplicated,
internationally recognized "identity". Publishers, booksellers, libraries
and other participants in the book industry use ISBN to identify
publications in order to expedite their handling and retrieval. ISBN
ensures that ordering, inventory control and accounting are executed more
efficiently.

 For further information, contact:
 Canadian ISBN Agency
 National Library of Canada
 395 Wellington Street
 Ottawa ON
 K1A 0N4 Canada
 Telephone: (819) 994-6872
 Fax: (819) 997-7517
 INTERNET: isbn@nlc-bnc.ca

        The last time I helped someone get an ISBN, there was no charge.

        Hope this helps,

        Patricia L. Chalmers

At 12:12 AM 29/09/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello book people.  I am an artist and writer but very much a newbie when
>it comes to making any kinds of books but I am inspired to create one
>revolving around a kind of art workbook concept. The bulk of the book will
>actually be blank pages like a sketch book, but there will be an
>introduction and guidelines written by myself and I guess in a small way it
>would make me a "self published" writer as well as "book maker".  And so I
>was wondering if anyone has ever found themselves in a similar place and
>applied for an ISBN to somehow formalize the book.  Is it necessary?
>Someone told me that it would be necessary if I wanted to sell the book in
>a bookstore. I've looked at various hand made artbooks on line and none of
>them have an ISBN and I am guessing it's because they lean more towards art
>than publication (probably mine is more hand made/craft + publication).  On
>the other hand I am fairly certain I have seen artbooks that involve or
>"hold" an original story or collection of poems chapbook style that are
>made in limited edition numbers but I can't recall if they had ISBNs
>either.  Now I am getting myself confused with art, bookarts and books  (no
>definitions are necessary).
>Any information, experiences in the self publishing and book creating areas
>etc. would be appreciated!
>Thanks in advance
>Deb Clay
>Calgary
>cdmax@cadvision.com

Patricia L. Chalmers                  email:  pchalmers@admin.ukings.ns.ca
Assistant Librarian                   Phone:  (902)422-1271 ext. 174
University of King's College          Fax:    (902)423-3357
Halifax,Nova Scotia
CANADA B3H 2A1