February workshop in Guatemala

Hi everyone! I thought now would be a good time to distract people from the
contemplation of aliens and their potential uses in book arts by announcing
my upcoming workshop in Guatemala. Like last year and the year before, it
occurs at the perfect time to leave the darkness and cold of our Northern
winters and go someplace warm and sunny. The dates are February 18-27, 2000.
The workshop is an exploration of concertina forms and includes painting,
collage, decorative sewing and beading. We make seven books altogether,
including a hard cover album covered with Guatemalan fabric. We stay in a
beautiful restored Colonial home in the old capitol, La Antigua, a small
friendly town with the best restaurants anywhere (I am permanently spoiled
for pizza anywhere else, after eating at Papacitos)! Additionally, there are
numerous "non-book" activities, including a trip to Lake Atitlan, where we
stay at Santa Cruz la Laguna, right on the lakeside. A visit to the
neighboring town of San Andreas Ixtapa to see the shrine to Maximom (a
fascinating combination of Mayan and Catholic ritual and belief), and a field
trip to Libros San Cristobal, the hand bindery and letterpress studio of
Christopher Beisel, are also included. Classes are half days, with the
remainder of the day available for walking, drawing, taking photographs and
spending money (!) on the wonderful crafts available everywhere. For more
information, contact Liza Fourre at email: artguat@guate.net  You can also
visit the web site at http://artguat.org Or write to me for details, if you
need to have more information on what is being taught. Thanks, Barbara Harman