Re: pochoir and damp paper; also perspex

Martyn Ould wrote:

>A new question. I am using a sheet of perspex (tm) on a box - just a sheet
>cut to an oblong shape. Any advice on getting a nice smooth edge where it
>has been cut?

A fairly fine metalworking file and/or sandpaper will give you a very
smooth edge. Then you can use a buffing wheel to polish it up. (I did this
over 20 years ago and unfortunately can't remember if a buffing compound
was used.) If there is paper attached to both sides of the perspex, leave
it there until you're finished all handling and ready to attach it
permanently. Also, be careful using the file and sandpaper as you will melt
the perspex if you rub too hard or too fast.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>
Newsletter Editor & Webmaster
The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild:
<http://www.cbbag.ca>

though I speak only for myself