Re: pochoir and damp paper; also Perspex

>A new question. I am using a sheet of perspex (tm) on a box - just a sheet
>cut to an oblong shape. Any advice on getting a nice smooth edge where it
>has been cut?

Martyn,

We have also used the following..

Various grades of sand paper designed for metal to get the right shape to
the edge (or surface). Then work down to the finest grade (you can get down
to very fine grits at auto body / auto supply stores - like much greater
than a 1000 grit paper) then also from the auto supply shop you can by
rubbing and polishing compounds specifically designed for plastics and like
materials. Like the sand paper these come in various weights. Be sure and
get the kind specifically meant for plastics. They produce an ultra smooth
highly polished surface.

I have also used these rubbing compounds for plastics to clean up and
repolish a variety of plastic surfaces we have used on books when they have
become dulled and scratched. They worked quite well. They work slower than a
buffing wheel (disadvantage) but produce a more controllable result
(advantage). At least I have always had a problem with buffing wheels.

Regards

Kurt Klappenbach
Loud Creek Books & Bindery
P.O. Box 8120
Bangor, ME   04402-8120
207.990.3786
loudcreek@worldnet.att.net

It is just those books which a man possesses, but does not read,
which constitute the most suspicious evidence against him. - Victor Hugo