Bookplates--getting started

I hope I'm not being naive, but I never realized that one could collect
bookplates. Does this fall under the category of ephemera, which I've always
thought of as autographs, etc.? I would appreciate it very much to hear about
your favorite sources for finding bookplates and any specializations that
collectors might hone in on.  Also, what are the best ways to store and view
them?  I'm fascinated.   Thanks a lot.

Suzanne Young