Re: Odd structures inquiry

Leil,

I have always looked at things and thought if that object could talk what
story could it tell. So after a while I started making up the stories that
I thought objects might tell and binding them in that object. Then I looked
at it from the other perspective. If a story had a physical manifestation
what would it look like. Does this story have authority, is it pompous, is
it a lazy half told story, is it a rushed or gossipy story. Would it care
what it was seen wearing? Would it wear second hand clothes? Would it be
shy or coy? Would it stand up proud and look you straight in the eye? Would
it be neat and plain or fussy and bejewelled? Now these things may point
more to materials than structure but structure does come into it. It is
probably harder to make a formal, authoritative dictionary from a pop-up
style. Pop-ups more often have a playful feel. And a tunnel-book to me is
secretive or reticent. It is one where you have to look into the shadows
for the not so obvious parts of the story.

Now a story about Islam may be good in an star representing Islam. Is the
Moslem religion one which is patriotic and wears its heart on its sleeve so
to speak? Doesn't Islamic art contain lots of geometric patterns to help
represent stories which can't contain graphic pictures? Does the story come
across with two emotions: star equals open, obvious and stated; and
rectangular, closed book equals mystery or information only available to
those with inside understanding. The connections from the shapes, sizes,
materials and even weights of our books are as many and varied as those
that make the connections. I once held a very small book which was bound in
corn husks and as I picked it up I suppose I had all the assumptions about
this being a lightweight, downhome book but I got a shock when I lifted it
to find it was very weighty - lined with lead! Whether this was an
intentional trick or not doesn't matter as much as it made me think. I love
people that make me think.

I am currently trying to cut bottles in half because I have an old ink
bottle and I want to make it into a book which contains ink recipes or
mythologies. And if someone asked me why an ink bottle? I would probably
answer with a few of the connections I have already come up with: is the
ink recipe a substitute for the ink? Is the bottle now filled with ink?
Where has all the original ink gone? into writing messages? Is there still
a message in a bottle? If it is thrown into the sea of information will it
be washed up on a beach deserted of understanding? And then there are all
the analogies and the symbolism of glass as a material.

Anyway it is all fun.

Linda.