Exhibit in Newbury, MA

Dear Friends
    I am having an exhibition of my work called The Spirit Book Series
in the Carl Youngman Gallery at Governor Dummer Academy from Nov 19 to
Dec 20. The reception is Nov 19 from 6 to 8 pm. The gallery hours are
M-F 9-5. Sat and Sun by appt. The gallery is a nice one, a warm intimate
space. To those on the list in the area, I'd love to meet you. If you do
come to the reception, please introduce yourself.
    Here are the directions:
Take I-95 to exit 55 (Central St, Byfield). Follow the sign to Governor
Dummer Academy. Enter the campus at GDA sign, turning left onto Middle
Road, then take the first right turn. The Gallery is the the Kaiser
Visual Arts center, the last building on the left.
    I also thought I'd add the press release for the show to give an
idea of the work. It follows.
in good spirit,
Susan
Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA

    The Spirit Book Series by Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord, on exhibition
at the Carl Youngman Gallery at Governor Dummer Academy in Newbury, MA
from November 19 to December 20, invites the viewer into an intimate
world. In Auguries of Innocence, William Blake wrote, “To see the world
in a grain of sand And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the
palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.” In the Spirit Books Series,
Gaylord builds handmade sculptural books around natural objects -
sticks, vines, and roots, which speak for the deep mystery and power of
the natural world. The twelve books are made from textured handmade
papers from around the world. The tones are all browns and tans, with
the occasional sparkle of gold thread or brass or glass beads. Most of
the books nestle in stands of branches or roots. Gaylord describes them
thus: “I see the Spirit Books as messengers from the invisible world
that supports our visible one. I find signs of this invisible world in
handmade papers, sticks, vines, and beads. The exercise of giving them
voice becomes a meditation. I intend for the “reading” to be a
meditation as well.”
     Gaylord, one of a growing number of artists who find their voice in
the form of the book, has been working the field since 1988. Her Spirit
Books have been featured in three books on bookmaking, Cover to Cover,
Handmade Books and Cards, and Pages. Spirit Book # 10: Beseeching Beads
won Second Prize in the 1998 Regional Juried Show at the Newburyport Art
Association. She has exhibited her work across the country, most
recently in a national book arts survey exhibition entitled Beyond the
Fold: Artist’s Books: Traditional to Cutting Edge at the Gallery of
South Orange in New Jersey. Earlier this year, her work was featured in
Scrolls, Slabs, and Slats: The Many Faces of the Book in Art at the
Brooklyn Public Library and The Book Arts: From Pulp to Pixel at
California State University- Stanislaus. Her work is in numerous
collections, including The Museum Modern of Art Library, the Wellesley
College Library, and the Yale Library.