for Kerouac fans

Dear Friends
    I know from some correspondence that there are a least a few fans of
Jack Kerouac on the list. A friend of mine has just edited Kerouac's
early writing in a book called Atop an Underwood: Early Stories and
Other Writings by Jack Kerouac. It's just out now from Viking Press and
covers writing from 1936 (he was 14) to 1943 (he was 21). The book ends
right before he met Ginsberg and Burroughs. Paul shaped it that way to
show Kerouac's formation as a writer before he met them. There's some
interesting material here including a piece on Bob from Hartford that is
a preview of Dean Moriarity.
    Paul will be talking about and reading from the book in Lowell on
Sat, Nov 20. He's inviting some friends to read too, and I'll be one of
them. The event is at 2 PM at the O'Leary Library, Room 222, UMass
Lowell South Campus, Broadway and Wilder St, Lowell, MA. They'll be
selling copies of the book with proceeds going to the Lowell Celebrates
Kerouac Literary Festival. For info, 978-934-3107.
in good spirit,
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA