Re: Odd structures inquiry

I very much appreciated your comments and the glimpse
into what goes on in your mind! how is the ink bottle
project coming?

my book is at a temporary halt while I run around
doing various things, but I hope to get back to it
soon. several of the considerations you mentioned came
into my mind. Islam is both a religion which abhors
secretivity (thus the openness of the star) and which
is highly inferential (because so much of its rules
come from looking at the actions of the Prophet and
inferring from them; thus closed). and yes, it is
highly geometric. this is actually one of my stopping
points at the moment because I can't decide if I want
to only use text or if I want some sort of imagery,
which would probably be wrong. I am thinking in terms
of calligraphy, something which I currently do not do,
but would like to learn.

so many thoughts and ideas!

thank you again for your comments

leil

--- Linda Newbown <newbown@PCUG.ORG.AU> wrote:
> Leil,
>
> I have always looked at things and thought if that
> object could talk what
> story could it tell. So after a while I started
> making up the stories that
> I thought objects might tell and binding them in
> that object. Then I looked
> at it from the other perspective. If a story had a
> physical manifestation
> what would it look like. Does this story have
> authority, is it pompous, is
> it a lazy half told story, is it a rushed or gossipy
> story. Would it care
> what it was seen wearing? Would it wear second hand
> clothes? Would it be
> shy or coy? Would it stand up proud and look you
> straight in the eye? Would
> it be neat and plain or fussy and bejewelled? Now
> these things may point
> more to materials than structure but structure does
> come into it. It is
> probably harder to make a formal, authoritative
> dictionary from a pop-up
> style. Pop-ups more often have a playful feel. And a
> tunnel-book to me is
> secretive or reticent. It is one where you have to
> look into the shadows
> for the not so obvious parts of the story.
>
> Now a story about Islam may be good in an star
> representing Islam. Is the
> Moslem religion one which is patriotic and wears its
> heart on its sleeve so
> to speak? Doesn't Islamic art contain lots of
> geometric patterns to help
> represent stories which can't contain graphic
> pictures? Does the story come
> across with two emotions: star equals open, obvious
> and stated; and
> rectangular, closed book equals mystery or
> information only available to
> those with inside understanding. The connections
> from the shapes, sizes,
> materials and even weights of our books are as many
> and varied as those
> that make the connections. I once held a very small
> book which was bound in
> corn husks and as I picked it up I suppose I had all
> the assumptions about
> this being a lightweight, downhome book but I got a
> shock when I lifted it
> to find it was very weighty - lined with lead!
> Whether this was an
> intentional trick or not doesn't matter as much as
> it made me think. I love
> people that make me think.
>
> I am currently trying to cut bottles in half because
> I have an old ink
> bottle and I want to make it into a book which
> contains ink recipes or
> mythologies. And if someone asked me why an ink
> bottle? I would probably
> answer with a few of the connections I have already
> come up with: is the
> ink recipe a substitute for the ink? Is the bottle
> now filled with ink?
> Where has all the original ink gone? into writing
> messages? Is there still
> [...]

=====
leilx@yahoo.com  leil lucy alexander   Malka, Irbid, Jordan

I walked in a desert.  And I cried: "Ah, God, take me from this place!"
A voice said: "It is no desert."
I cried: "Well, but--The sand, the heat, the vacant horizon."
A voice said: "It is no desert."
        --Stephen Crane, who never came to the desert