Chinese pounding brushes

  Does anyone else out there use Chinese pounding brushes??  I bought my
first one at the Standards meeting in Greensboro in the vendors room
from the Japanese Paper Place in Toronto.  This past October I got
another, larger, one at the Tidwell Art Supply store in Charleston, S.C.
The larger one is four inches long, and about an inch and a half around,
cylindrical in shape.  It consists of long, stiff fibers, densely packed
together and tightly wound with a cord of the same fiber.  It fits
nicely into the fist and the two ends provide a fine pounding head, like
a hammer, that does a dandy job putting a Japanese tissue spine liner
down on a book spine, doing a small lamination, or breaking the surface
tension on a freshly layered page fill.  The smaller one is about two
thirds the size of the other, and shorter, more suitable for smaller
spines.
  When new the brushes should be used with a barrier paper since the
fibers tend to shed a bit until the brush is "broken in".  Japanese
pounding brushes work better for larger surfaces, but they are also very
expensive items, and not so well suited to the curvature of a spine.
The Chinese brushes are also MUCH cheaper.
  I have no idea what the official purpose of these brushes is in China,
but I found them in Charleston with some calligraphy supplies.  Does
anyone else out there use them?  If so, have you found other uses for
these handy little guys??
  Dorothy Africa