Re: Inks

>Greeting to all I have joined the list and have a question about Medieval
>Inks.

Oak galls were a source of colorant for European inks, carbon black
(lampblack, or soot) was a source for Middle Eastern and Asian inks.
Jack Thompson is a good resource for oak gall information.

>Are there any good resources on making your own from natural
>ingredients? What was used when the illuminating had gold in it?

shell gold is ground-up gold leaf, and can be applied with a brush.
It is not as glossy as gold leaf, which is often applied over a
gesso ground. You can apply the gesso with a brush, then gild the
gesso.

Um, not meaning to brag, but my wife (Kathleen Whitley) has written
a book on the "History and Technique of Manuscript Gilding" which should
be coming out about January. It is being co-published by Oak Knoll press
and the British Library, and is already listed on amazon.com. It has
traditional and modern gesso recipes, and a step-by-step instruction on
applying gold. (I apologize if this sounds like a commercial, I really think
there's a lot of good information in the book.) There are some examples
of Kathleen's gilding at: http://www.imprimatur.com

Bill Whitley
Traditional Book Arts