Workers' Libraries

<!-- Forwarding this on. Perhaps someone onlist has some information.
Please DO NOT reply to the list -->

I am writing an article on "Worker's Libraries" for a historical
encyclopedia, and I would appreciate being pointed toward any scholarly
literature on the subject.  It could include libraries maintained by
philanthropists for working-class readers (such as England's mechanics'
institute libraries) or libraries run by workers themselves (such as the
miners' libraries of South Wales or the Social Democratic libraries of
Wilhelmine Germany).  I'm interested in all parts of the world and any
historical period.

        Please reply off-list to:

        Jonathan Rose
        History Department