Re: Inks

>I can recall seeing a few post-medieval *paper* pages damaged by
>some kind of acid-based ink - I can't recall any vellum pages so damaged,
>and I don't see much likelihood of that happening, though I'll make
>a note to check Stiennon and such next time I'm at the library.

Vellum has been damaged by iron gall ink.  Check the library and archive
conservation literature for information (and some articles have photos).
And the web site http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/ink/ "presents information on iron
gall ink; its importance in (art)history; and its slow, self-destructing
properties known as iron gall ink corrosion."

Cathy Atwood
Missouri Local Records Program