Re: inks

Yes, I remember checking out a similar site promoted by the same museum.
It was designed like a Tim Burton movie - I think one link was headed
"Chamber of Horrors," or something like that. Unfortunately it was pretty
thin on information - some of it I thought at the time was factually
misleading.

I'd hate to sound as if I'm overinvested in iron-gall ink, apart from the
fact that I enjoy working with it, and teaching others to work with it.
Whether it's absolutely permanent or not, is not something I'd care to
fight over: I still enjoy using it, and making it, and teaching it.
However, it's interesting to note that:

a) There are probably over a million surviving medieval mss. written in
this ink, and in perfectly good condition;

b) There are quite a few iron-gall recipes surviving, and it seems that
separating the tried-and-true from the others shouldn't be so hard: the
problem *can not* be with iron-gall inks *in general;*

c) There seems to be a developing industry in iron-gall bashing. Naturally
I'll be following up on some of the helpful suggestions sent to this list
since I have to assume that all of this research is sincere, some of it
surely helpful, and only the usual proportion of it inaccurate.

Still, I have to wonder. If I were a librarian, would it help my funding
if I sent up a report informing the budget office that all my books were
in good condition and no emergency measures were required for the
foreseeable future?

  On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Barbara Buchanan wrote:

> a very interesting website about ink corrosion, developed by the
> Museum Boijmans van Beuningen, Rotterdam, in conjunction with the Netherlands
> Institute for Cultural Heritage, Amsterdam. History, recipes, research topics,
> conservation and collection management issues....it's great!
> http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/ink/

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.