Re: Inks & Gold in Medieval Mss.

Hi,

Peter, I am a bit confused about your tip:

>From:    Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@DESIGN.ORG>
>Subject: Re: Inks & Gold in Medieval Mss.

>BTW, if you live in the US, don't bother trying to do gesso gilding in the=
> winter. The surface needs to be very hard, to allow you to burnish the gold=
>to a high gloss, but also just barely sticky from a bit of sugar in the=
> mix, to hold the gold to the gesso for a thousand and more years. Think=
> damp monasteries in July ;-)

I have been interested in using the gesso in this manner.  Are you saying
that we should only do this method when the weather is damp?

In that case, right now is the perfect time in Northern California --
since we have only two seasons, wet (winter) and dry (summer).  In the
summer it reaches up to 114 degrees Fahrenheit and is almost bone dry
(you may have heard about our devasting summer grass fires). But right
now in November it is 60 degrees F and my redwood deck is sopping while
damp clouds hang overhead.  You can't get better cool damp than this.
The camellias love it.

So which is it?  Wet or dry?

Thanks ahead for the clarification!  :-)

Karen