Re: Gold in Medieval Mss.

Once again (although this thread forces me to call on Freudian theories
about memory and repression):

1) In 1844, the first English translation of Cennini appeared, containing
"the" gilding recipe.

2) In 1899 a new translation appeared, by Lady Herringham, who pointed
out a mistranslation in Cennini's recipe.

3) This correction has gone unnoticed for over *one* *hundred* *years* by
various guild-y parties (I told you Freud was turning up!), despite the
fact that it was mentioned by:

a) D. V. Thompson in 1933;
b) Paul Werner (the Kid) in 1984, and
c) Jerry Tresser (op. cit.) in 1992.

And now, speaking of turkeys and leftovers...

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.