Re: Questions:leather covering (Forwarded for Jack Thompson)

To: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.philobiblon.com"
    <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
From: "Jack C. Thompson" <tcl@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Questions:leather covering

>From:    Linda Newbown <newbown@PCUG.ORG.AU>

(snip)

>Ages ago (early medieval times?)... what did they
>do about the leather turn-ins because there wasn't any convenient gap
>between board and headband where you could fold under the turn-ins?

The leather is slit almost to the boards and then tucked in; if it
is done neatly, the slits don't show when the leather is dry, but
very often they do show a little bit.

Look for a copy of Graham Pollard's article: "The Construction
of English Twelfth-Century Bindings" published in the British
journal, _The Library_ Fifth Series, Vol. XVII, Mo. 1, March 1962,
esp. the line drawing on p. 15, of a skin cut out for covering.

(snip)

>did they glue the whole leather
>covering down and make what I know as a tightback?

Generally, the book was made as a tightback, but over time the
adhesive has often given way and the book will open like a hollow back.

Look for a copy of Bernard Middleton's book: _A History of English
Craft Bookbinding Technique_

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory