PVA Glue

Hi list.  A pathetically rookie question here. I was able to buy a gallon of
PVA glue from an industrial supplier and it works great, but the consistency
is thicker than what I'm used to. I was using a creamy glue that dispensed
from a squeeze bottle. This stuff is sort of like soft  butter frosting and I
apply it with a brush. I use it to glue handmade paper to book board. My
question is whether or not I can thin it down just a bit. The only reason
would be to use it in the bottle for that type of application. I also wonder
whether or not it really gets into the paper fibers when it's so thick.

If anybody has any feedback on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Pat