Press at Colorado College

Betty Bright recently announced on the Book_Arts-L electronic bulletin
board that, following the death of Jim Trissel, your College has begun an
assessment of the Press at Colorado College.

Like a great many persons in a great many disciplines, I have always had a
very high respect both for Trissel and for his work. Indeed, to many of us
the Press at Colorado College is the best-known activity of the College,
and the Press has lent you great distinction over the years. (The
University of Virginia does not have a particularly strong collection of
contemporary private press books, but The Press is represented here in our
Special Collections department.)

I first met Trissel in 1982, when he attended the Fine Press Conference at
Columbia University (which also numbers Press at Colorado College books
among its holdings). I stayed in touch with him over the years, and looked
at the Press's books whenever I could, to my profit.

With small centers of excellence like the Press at Colorado College, the
trick is finding a successor to a long-term, well-known founder. Nobody can
replace Trissel, but it should certainly be possible to find a successor
who could continue and extend his work, to the continued, considerable
benefit of your College and its students.

-Terry Belanger

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu