Re: A Bookbinding "Riddle"

>> What has recently been recovered after 500-600 years and which had been
>> used to wrap bacon and as book-binding material?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Melinda Foulke

I receive this list in digest form, so:

The various answers to this question (with NPR references) suggest that
the folks at NPR may not be fully conversant with the material culture
of pigskin.

I would not care to wrap bacon in parchment, as it would quickly become
sticky from grease.

Therefore, my guess is that the reference is to alum-tawed pigskin, upon
which things may be written, and which, earlier, surrounded a flitch of
bacon.

But, it's only a guess.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson