Re: A Bookbinding "Riddle"

Come to think of it I've seen pigskin vellum used in the back matter of a
medieval mss., U. of Pennsylvania's Ms. 55, "Liber Scintillarum." Not a
pretty sight. The book's Latin title, by the way, translates as "The Book
of Farts."  Indeed.

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Jack C. Thompson (by way of Peter Verheyen              <verheyen@philobiblon.com>) wrote:
> Therefore, my guess is that the reference is to alum-tawed pigskin, upon
> which things may be written, and which, earlier, surrounded a flitch of
> bacon.
> USA

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.