Re: Love the scinner but hate the scintilating

Check Du Cange (standard medieval Latin dictionary). Though "scintilla's"
primary sense is, indeed, "a spark," the obvious appropriate meaning is
conveyed by a quote from an abbot asking the monks to step outside for
their scintillas after a hearty meal of cabbage and beans.

But then, Dorothy, until I spent a month on that particular
manuscript I, too, thought your reading was the right one...

Okay, okay, enough scintillating around :)

 On Wed, 8 Dec
1999, Dorothy Africa wrote:

>  re: scintilla
>   The Latin root refers, as a noun, to a spark, and as a verb to things
> that twinkle, shine or sparkle.

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.