Re: Book edge dye

Acrylics
Airbrush colors
Watercolors
Tempera
Aniline dyes

All will work. The thing with the acrylics is not too thick, definitely a
liquid. If they're too thick you'll glue the edge shut. You'll also want to
keep edges under pressure, the more the better, to keep the color from
penetrating too far into the textblock. When I was an apprentice we used a
piece of wood to make sure we got (relatively) even pressure. Color was
applied with a sponge which offered more control in terms of amount than a
brush.

Most bookbinding manuals, the traditional ones, have a section on this topic.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>