Origin of phrase "just in case"

Hello all,

I have enjoyed the recent typography thread and have
a phrase that I have often wondered if it had a
typographic connection. The phrase is "just in case."

We use this so often yet whenever I look at it, it
is one of those phrases whose words do not seem to
mean what we think it means. Any ideas on the origin
of this?

regards and thanks in advance,

-terry

Terry Kuny