Re: Cost of used book presses

I am assuming the term Book Press refers to a nipping press - a base, and a
plate that is screwed down to apply pressure.

These are becoming more scarce all the time. I am not sure where they are
going. I personally have three of different types and styles.

When you can find them, a price ranging from $50 and up is normal. The lower
end or the range refers to a very simple and small press. As the press
becomes more complex and larger, the price goes up accordingly. I have one
which has a toggle action to it. I am able to adjust for a certain
thickness, release the press remove the material, and repeat the process
without resetting the wheel. This is the ideal device for bookbinding.

The nipping press has a long history in the print shop. I have seen it
called an early copier. In this situation, a receiver paper - waxed or some
such - is placed on the original, pressure is applied. After a period of
time, the pressure is released, and the receiver is placed in the press a
second time in contact with a clean sheet of paper. Crude, but it does work.
There were all sorts of uses where pressure needed to be applied - to
flatten dampened pages, to finish the crease in a fold, and many others

I can understand the desire to have a nipping press. They are a very useful
tool in most any shop.

happy hunting.

tks

aj