PUBLICATION PARTY

You are invited to the publication party
at the Scripps College Press for our latest
limited edition book
LE CHEVALLIER TONDAL
on the visions of the knight Tondal.

December 15, 1999
4:00-5:30 p.m.
Scripps College Press
12th and Dartmouth, Claremont
Sheets 100

Years ago, I was astonished, amazed and amused
when viewing a pre-Dante medieval book at the
J. Paul Getty Museum, Les Visions du chevalier Tondal.
This Burgundian 15th-century book, originally
written in Latin by the Irish monk Marcus at Regensburg
in 1149, illustrates terrible punishments for the
wealthy knight Tondal for a lengthy list of sins.

Students were asked to choose excerpts from this text
and write a commentary about modern sin and punishment,
as a gloss of the Tondal, keeping a sense of humor about them.
We were saved by Dr. Roger S. Wieck of the Pierpont Morgan
Library, who came to our rescue with translations and
correlated them with the original old French text.

This book is an extraordinary effort by students who
experienced the sin of over-committing and suffered the
torments of too many print runs. But each had a vision and
wanted to see it through. An amazing 60 copies were printed
and bound by the exhausted members of the Typography class
of Fall 1999.

RSVP to Kitty Maryatt, Director of the Press at
(909) 607-3866 or KMaryatt@ScrippsCol.edu