Soft Cover Binding Questions

Most of my work involves flexible leather covers on Bibles. The are case
bound and with no French grooves. Here is what may be a dumb question, but I
am a perfectionist and want things to look just so.
Question 1. The Bibles are done in leather. When they are finished, I don't
want to see any line or indentation down the side where the spine meets the
flexible cover board. I suspect it has something to do with the width of the
spine lining material. Which measurement is best. Should the spine
reinforcement s trip be #1. Exactly as wide as the book spine? Or #2 Exactly
as wide as the book spine, plus the thickness of the flexible cover boards.
Or, #3...Something other than 1 & 2? What is the standard rule for the width
of this lining strip.
Question 2. Is there any advantage in using the tube method with this type of
binding? If so, please explain.    Thank you very much. JT