Re: Maintaining tension in (bookbinding) Sewing(?

One observation that I have regarding the tension in sewing is that many new
binders try to sew through only one hole at a time when sewing on tapes. In
other words, the thread is taken through a hole at a station and all of the
thread is drawn to the inside. Then the thread is taken from the inside
through to the outside, and so on. Since the thread is only being held by
that one hole, it can have a tendency to relax too much, thus the tendency
for loose sewing.
I teach my assistants and students to take the thread through four holes if
possible  -- at the kettle stitch from the outside to the inside and out
around the tape and back inside to the next sewing station and out -- before
drawing all of the thread snug. In this way, there are four holes to
catch/grab the thread and hold it snug. Of course, this method is only
possible on tapes where there is no encircling of the sewing support as in
raised cord sewing.
Two further comments regarding this method of sewing on tapes:  not only is
the tension better, sewing is much faster. Also, since all of the excess
thread is on the outside of the signature, there is little chance that a loop
of thread can get caught inside the signature.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Bill Minter
William Minter Bookinding & Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
fax 814-793-4045