Re: Soft cover, Yapp edges, and French joint Question

BOOKBINDING & CONSERVATION BY HAND       by Laura S. Young (ISBN:1-8847-10-8)
answers all your questions about Yapp edges, limp bindings, French joints,
hollow tubes, inner hinges and anything else related to bookbinding. A must
for self-taught binders. The only complaint I have about the book is that
the author uses the numerical figure whenever she refers to a quantity of
anything: "after 1 hour or so," "a lithographic stone or 4 bricks," "let it
stand 1 or 2 minutes," "moisten the joint area on 1 side of the book." A
minor annoyance that I learned to ignore.

Betty
At 09:30 PM 01/04/2000 PST, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have been teaching myself how to do some Bible repair, but don't fully
>understand Yapp edges and French joints. When making a limp binding as in a
>Bible, how far over the edge of the text should your thin boards over hang
>for yapp edges? Or is just the leather hanging over? When do you use French
>joints, only with thicker boards? Or is the board thickness not a factor for
>French joints? Are French joints the same as in case bindings with nipping
>boards or are they different? And lastly when do you use a hollow tube spine
>binding. What's the benifit to a tube binding?
>
>Thanks for answering my questions
>
>Sherri McDonald
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA