suede?!?

Hi all,
I've been looking at a complete set of 11th edition Encyclopedia
Britannicas in their original mahogany custom shelf. They are
beautiful--silk sewn, with gilded edges, interior tooling but....they
are all soft bound in calf suede.
Dusty, cracking, messy suede.
Can anything be done to fix the material or replenish it?
Also, why would these be bound this way?
To make them temporary so people buy the next edition?
My trusty book dressing seems so powerless!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phoebe