Scotch tape

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF61EF.6FBE8C60

I would like to initiate a thread on dealing with repairs on books in =
which Scotch tape has been used.

Having encountered the problem numerous times during the past half-dozen =
years various methods of either working around it or removing it have =
suggested themselves. (I am referring only to tape applied to the pages =
of the text block, not that used on the case, unless it directly affects =
the cosmetics of the final work (e.g. with leather.)

Please, if you will, provide us with your specific thoughts, not a =
referral to some particular "study" deemed to have already covered the =
subject with obvious thoroughness. I'm looking for the personal =
experiences of working binders & conservators.

The problem is sufficiently ubiquitous, I think, to warrant at least one =
more round of discussion and evaluation in this arena.

I would appreciate views on the following points:

1. Accepting or refusing such books in the first place and explaining to =
the customer why the choice.

2. If accepted, what additional cost for the work, if any, is assessed?

3. If the problem is only discovered after having estimated a price and =
work has begun, how is the additional cost factored in on the final bill =
to the customer?

4. If the work is unavoidable do you attempt to remove all tape or only =
that involved in the spine and hinges, or make no attempt at removal at =
all?

5. If choosing removal of the tape what particular methods are used and =
what precautions are taken? This point applies to tape of recent usage =
in which the adhesive is still pliable as well as older tape in which =
the adhesive has apparently dried but is still adhered.

6. To what extent do you attempt to educate customers or those dealing =
with the books (e.g. librarians, etc.) on the proper methods of making =
temporary or even permanent repairs without use of tape, without =
necessitating the sending of the torn or damaged book in for technical =
repair in every minor case?

7.  If damage resulting in treatment is unavoidable, either in prospect =
or in unanticipated removal how is the case presented to the "customer."

8. Any other relevant thoughts on the problem and/or particular =
solutions not covered above.

Charles Schermerhorn

The New Leaf Book Bindery

Lompoc, Calif.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF61EF.6FBE8C60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">I would like to initiate a thread=20
on&nbsp;dealing with repairs on books in which Scotch tape has been=20
used.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Having encountered the problem =
numerous times=20
during the past half-dozen years various methods of either working =
around it or=20
removing it have suggested themselves. (I am referring only to tape =
applied to=20
the pages of the text block, not that used on the case, unless it =
directly=20
affects the cosmetics of the final work (e.g. with leather.)</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Please, if you will, provide us with =
your=20
specific thoughts, not a referral to some particular "study" deemed to =
have=20
already covered the subject with obvious thoroughness. I'm looking for =
the=20
personal experiences of working binders &amp; conservators.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">The problem is sufficiently =
ubiquitous, I think,=20
to warrant at least one more round of discussion and evaluation in this=20
arena.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">I would appreciate views on the =
following=20
points:</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">1. Accepting or refusing such books in =
the first=20
place and explaining to the customer why the choice.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">2. If accepted, what additional cost =
for the=20
work, if any, is assessed?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">3. If the problem is only discovered =
after=20
having estimated a price and work has begun, how is the additional cost =
factored=20
in on the final bill to the customer?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">4. If the work is unavoidable do you =
attempt to=20
remove all tape or only that involved in the spine and hinges, or make =
no=20
attempt at removal at all?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">5. If choosing removal of the tape =
what=20
particular methods are used and what precautions are taken? This point =
applies=20
to tape of recent usage in which the adhesive is still pliable as well =
as older=20
tape in which the adhesive has apparently dried but is still =
adhered.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">6. To what extent do you attempt to =
educate=20
customers or those dealing with the books (e.g. librarians, etc.) on the =
proper=20
methods of making temporary or even permanent repairs without use of =
tape,=20
without necessitating the sending of the torn or damaged book in for =
technical=20
repair in every minor case?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">7.&nbsp; If damage resulting in =
treatment is=20
unavoidable, either in prospect or in unanticipated removal how is the =
case=20
presented to the "customer."</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">8. Any other relevant thoughts on the =
problem=20
and/or particular solutions not covered above.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Charles Schermerhorn</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">The New Leaf Book Bindery</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Lompoc,=20
Calif.</FONT></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF61EF.6FBE8C60--