Printers' devices, printers' marks

Many months ago, I posted an announcement about a printers' device
"registry." (A bad choice of words, as it implied a means to register a
press's device.) Instead, it was and is simply a site and now a database of
early printers' devices. It is still very small, about 70 devices, but
Things are Afoot and I expect it will grow considerably. I am working my
way through our collection and am up to 1524 with others from later dates
entered by serendipity. The site is located at:

http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/spec/rarebook/Devices/device.htm

Yet, I have never forgotten the response of modern printers who thought
this would be a way to put their devices into a database.

The instructions on how to participate are more geared to institutions and
I think other instructions will have to be developed and maybe a different
database for modern presses will have to be set up. (Although, I see no
reason why a modern press cannot share space with Aldus Manutius, or Aldo
Manuzio as his compatriots knew him.) I would appreciate any thoughts and
opinions on this. It really would not take that much effort and would be
much fun.

And, who knows, perhaps this will inspire a resurgence of printers' devices.

Best regards!

Jeffrey A. Barr
Curator of Rare Books
PO Box 117007