Backing Boards: Hand Made

Hello to all,

I'm looking for some answer about handmade backing boards. I want to make
them out of wood, but do I need to have metal on the edge, like brass. What
is the propose of the brass, does it make the bend in the shoulder crisper
or what. Also at what angle does the board need to be cut at, 45 degrees? Or
is the angle degree not that important, just that they are both the same
angle?

I've looked into some books that talk about making your own tools and they
never mentioned why you use metal or the angle information.

Well thanks to anyone that responds.
Sherri McDonald
Bound to the Word Bookbinding