Re: Scotch Tape on Books

------=_NextPart_000_01D2_01BF699A.9151CB00

Re:  Jacqueline Peeler's enquiry concerning the removal of Scotch Tape.

We've been using eucalyptus oil for many years, for the removal of =
sticky
substances from books, including paper.  The oil is clear when =
purchased,
and when it evaporates, no residue is left.  Adrienne is correct in her
suggestions for usage. However, as with any liquid cleaning, a tide mark =
may
result from the movement of grime within the paper.  It gathers together =
in
the shape of a tide mark, and may be considered, and in fact is, a =
stain.
(For this reason, many restorers prefer to immerse whole sheets, and =
thus
avoid localised staining).

You can sometimes minimize the localised stains by spreading the =
eucalyptus
oil over a wider area.  But for old books, in which the paper is often =
quite
browned, etc, these tide mark stains can often be camouflaged amongst =
the
surrounding general discolouration.  Ultimately, you will have to look =
at
the job closely, and determine the measure of cleaning fluid to use.

The Bestine sounds like a volatile hydrocarbon, probably hexane, or =
maybe
White Spirit.  We use many solvents in our Workshop.  We could not do =
our
work properly without a complete range of solvents from all the organic
categories, i.e. hydrocarbons, alcohols, ketones, etc.  Just make sure =
you
have a good movement of air through the room.  Strictly, you should use =
mask, but I suspect you would  probably wear your organic tissues out =
more
severely by walking down the main street of NY, than by using small =
amounts
of organic solvents without a mask, in your Workshop.

We do hope that this helps you.

Peter N. Krantz.
Book Restorations.
P.O. Box 500,
North Sydney,
N.S.W.               2059,
AUSTRALIA.

(34 Clanville Road,  Roseville,  N.S.W.  2069,  AUSTRALIA.)

Telephone:  +61 2 9416.9900
Fax:  +61 2 9416.6800
Email:  bkfndrs@ozemail.com.au

Established:  1976

------=_NextPart_000_01D2_01BF699A.9151CB00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>Re:&nbsp; Jacqueline Peeler's enquiry =
concerning the=20
removal of Scotch Tape.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff>We've been using eucalyptus oil for many =
years, for the=20
removal of sticky<BR>substances from books, including paper.&nbsp; The =
oil is=20
clear when purchased,<BR>and when it evaporates, no residue is =
left.&nbsp;=20
Adrienne is correct in her<BR>suggestions for usage. However, as with =
any liquid=20
cleaning, a tide mark may<BR>result from the movement of grime within =
the=20
paper.&nbsp; It gathers together in<BR>the shape of a tide mark, and may =
be=20
considered, and in fact is, a stain.<BR>(For this reason, many restorers =
prefer=20
to immerse whole sheets, and thus<BR>avoid localised =
staining).<BR><BR>You can=20
sometimes minimize the localised stains by spreading the =
eucalyptus<BR>oil over=20
a wider area.&nbsp; But for old books, in which the paper is often=20
quite<BR>browned, etc, these tide mark stains can often be camouflaged =
amongst=20
the<BR>surrounding general discolouration.&nbsp; Ultimately, you will =
have to=20
look at<BR>the job closely, and determine the measure of cleaning fluid =
to=20
use.<BR><BR>The Bestine sounds like a volatile hydrocarbon, probably =
hexane, or=20
maybe<BR>White Spirit.&nbsp; We use many solvents in our Workshop.&nbsp; =
We=20
could not do our<BR>work properly without a complete range of solvents =
from all=20
the organic<BR>categories, i.e. hydrocarbons, alcohols, ketones, =
etc.&nbsp; Just=20
make sure you<BR>have a good movement of air through the room.&nbsp; =
Strictly,=20
you should use a<BR>mask, but I suspect you would&nbsp; probably wear =
your=20
organic tissues out more<BR>severely by walking down the main street of =
NY, than=20
by using small amounts<BR>of organic solvents without a mask, in your=20
Workshop.<BR><BR>We do hope that this helps=20
you.<BR><BR><BR>************************************************<BR>Peter=
 N.=20
Krantz.<BR>Book Restorations.<BR>P.O. Box 500,<BR>North=20
Sydney,<BR>N.S.W.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
2059,<BR>AUSTRALIA.<BR><BR>(34 Clanville Road,&nbsp; Roseville,&nbsp;=20
N.S.W.&nbsp; 2069,&nbsp; AUSTRALIA.)<BR><BR>Telephone:&nbsp; +61 2=20
9416.9900<BR>Fax:&nbsp; +61 2 9416.6800<BR>Email:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:bkfndrs@ozemail.com.au">bkfndrs@ozemail.com.au</A><BR><BR>=
Established:&nbsp;=20

color=3D#0000ff>*</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01D2_01BF699A.9151CB00--