Re: Labels -- Fusing of laser printer toner

In a message dated 1/21/00 8:16:40 PM, rstarr@UMBC.EDU writes:

>..... I like to use Canson mi-teinte paper for projects but have found that
it does a >poor job of taking toner because of its tooth.  In the past I have
used a clear acrylic spray after printing and find that this works.

>This morning I decided to try another approach.  I thought that the
>problem might be inadequate fusing of the toner to the paper. ......

>So far, this seems to work.  My next solution would have been to try to
>iron the paper or put it in a dry mount press.

R*

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Yehuda Miklaf wrote:

> I have had problems with labels from a laser printer smearing or rubbing
> off when I glue them down, so I spray them with a fixitive beforehand.

*****************************

Reply:
A number of years ago, I experienced some of the same difficulties with
flaking of toner from my laser printer. I was trying to use papers that were
not smooth enough. I tried various of methods of heat, as well as spray
fixatives. These were successful sometimes, but no always.
Then I spoke with a copier salesman and he suggested the following: After
laser printing, the paper is then sent through a standard photocopier as if
copying a blank sheet of paper. The toner setting is at the MINIMUM to insure
no toner from even a speck of dust. After doing this two, three or more
times, the toner is much more solidly attached. This is due to NOT ONLY the
heat but also the pressure from the fusion rollers. It seems to work on
almost any type of paper. In fact, I even used this technique to secure toner
to a piece of unbleached cotton muslin.

I hope this technique works for you.
Bill Minter
William Minter Bookinding & Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
fax 814-793-4045