Call for Entries - Days of the Handmade Book

For those of you who may have missed this posting in Novemeber, I am
posting this call again. There are 32 artists registered so there is
still room for anyone who may be interested.

Call For Entries for the DAYS OF THE HANDMADE BOOK.
This call may be printed, duplicated, forwarded and shared for
distribution.

The third DAYS OF THE HANDMADE BOOK will take place from March 31 to
April 02, 2000 at the South Bend Regional Museum of Art in South Bend,
Indiana. This event is a non-juried show dedicated to celebrating the
Book Arts. We invite you to participate by submitting one to three
works. We would like to feature a broad spectrum of artist books.
Accepted for this show will be one-of-a-kind hand lettered and bound
books, artist books, editioned letter pressed books, and editioned
computer generated  hand bound books.  The purpose of this exhibit it to
show our viewing public books are still being handmade and valued in our
techno-progressive society.

This event was first held in February 1996 and then again in October
1997. Our viewers were enthralled and appreciated the opportunity to
handle and study the treasures on display with white gloves. They read
everything and stayed for hours. Viewers also had the opportunity to
experience hands-on demonstrations in bookbinding, paste papers,
papermaking, marbling, and calligraphy. The DOHB 2000 will offer the
same experience for viewers over a three day period of time.

Concurrent to the DOHB exhibit and demonstrations, three other exhibits
will be featured at the South Bend Regional Museum of Art. VISUAL VOICES
is an invitational in which calligraphers are challenged to be more than
copy machines with ectoplasm. Each artist has been asked to author their
own text and render it in the media of their choice.  ALPHAMARK is the
traveling exhibit for the international Association for the Calligraphic
Arts. The third exhibit will be THE ART OF THE LOGO, an exhibit of logos
and graphic designs curated by William Tourtillotte, Education Curator
for the SBRMA.

The entry fee is $20 per artist. The exhibit is limited to one-of-a-kind
hand lettered and bound books, artist books, limited editioned letter
pressed books, and limited editioned computer generated artist books.
Each artist may submit up to three books or a series of books not to
exceed three individual pieces. Books may be for sale. The SBRMA will
retain a 30% commission on each sale.

Registration will be limited to the first forty artists to send in their
registration form and fee. You will be notified upon receipt of your
check whether or not you are accepted. Details of where and when to send
your artwork will be sent under separate cover. Unsold and Not-for-Sale
artwork will be returned after the event. Due to our very low budget, we
are asking artists to pay the return shipping.

Questions can be answered by Anne Binder :  phone - 219/287-2189 or by
e-mail - <abinder2@michiana.org>

Complete the information and make check payable to DOHB 2000 and mail to
Anne Binder, 1223 Woodward Ave., South Bend, IN 46616.

Name:
Full mailing address:
Phone contact:
e-mail if applicable: