A few bookbinders working in Italy

To the attention of Lisa Pogoff:

If I were to go to Italy, I would want to visit,
in Florence:

Giulio GIANNINI & Figli

Piazza Pitti, 37r, Firenze

This is a respected firm established in 1856. I have a catalogue with
lovely examples of their work in the 1986 exhibition held at the Palazzo
Strozzi. Mr. Enrico Giannini seems to be the present day
artist-craftsman par excellence and an administrator of the GIANNINI's.

In Venice:

Legatoria PIAZZESI

S.Marco S.M. del Giglio 2511c   Venezia  Tel/fax; 041 5221202

This bookbinding and decorated paper place was established in 1900. The
previous proprietor, Ms. Bos, had told me that for some of the decorated
papers they actually use wood blocks circa 200 years old (Remondini?).

In Milan:

Legatoria CONTI-BORBONE:

Corso Magenta  31, Milano   Tel. 02 86450090

Signor Angelo Marchesi (he must be getting on with years) heads the
family business. It is a pleasure to see what they do and how well they
do it.

These are the 3 addresses I was so satisfied to discover many years ago,
when I was a student at the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome. I am pleased
that they continue to exist.  Sincerely,
                                                Rezan

--
Rezan Peya Gökçen,
rgokcen@uoguelph.ca