Re: Kwikprint info -- may your FORCE be with you

There have been some very good comments about using a stamping press --
Temperature, Pressure and Dwell are very important AND will change with
various types of foil. One temperature will not work for all.

As mentioned, I too have found that a good "blind" (no foil) impression is
the best starting point for a  good job. And also a follow-up stamping
(without foil) sets the foil. Cleanup excess foil with a cloth and/or a white
vinyl eraser -- nothing too abrasive. For some problems, a toothpick, maybe
even with a little rubbing alcohol, will get the final impression to be its
best.

The one thing that I have not seen mentioned in any publication, but feel is
very important is a tool called a "FORCE". My mentor, Bill Anthony used one,
and I could not do my stamping without one. A "Force" is a sheet of binder
board, or my most recent, is a sheet of Plexiglas. This Force will hold the
item to be stamped in the stamping press.
First, the bed of the stamping press must have two (2) stops at the left and
right back corners, and the Force has a stop on the underside (three points
for perfect alignment). Now this Force will go into the press in the
same/exact place everytime. A sheet of thin card stock is taped to the Force
in the area of the impression. A carbon paper impression is made of the
type/die (press is hot). Lines are drawn on the board to allow securing the
item with masking tape in the exact location (be sure to securely tape the
item -- you don't want it to move at any time). Make a light blind impression
and check that everything is right including that the impression is uniform.
If for some reason one side is hitting more than another, you may have to do
some make-ready or adjust the press. Once everything is looking good, make a
good solid blind impression (note the amount of pressure that was needed to
get that impression) and (some jobs might require a little moisture in the
material). Position a piece of foil and stamp with just a hint more pressure
than the blind impression. Remove the foil and stamp again to set the foil.
Remove and cleanup. If there are any breaks in the foil, simply reinsert the
Force, double-check with a light blind impression that the item did not move,
and stamp again with just a hint MORE pressure.
There is a lot to be learned and said, and this is only a brief overview. But
the Force is a real job saver if you do have any trouble.

            May a Force be with you when you are stamping.

            In Memory of Bill Anthony
                    -- a great bookbinder and book conservator in Chicago and
then at                         the University of Iowa

Good Luck with your stamping.
Bill Minter
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695