Re: Hello - boards - moisture

Suhag,

I answered only your second question. It is difficult to tell by feel when
the boards are dry enough. They will dry faster in dry weather than in wet;
they'll dry faster under weighted boards than in a press. I usually leave
the book in the press overnight and then under a board with a weight on top
for several more hours. You can shorten the drying time by using a sheet of
blotting paper or other absorbent paper between the covers, changing it a
few times as it gets damp. Don't forget the waxed paper to protect the text
block from absorbing moisture.

Manly Bannister, in "Bookbinding as a Handcraft," p. 111-112, describes
pasting down open and pasting down shut. In his opinion, the boards will
not warp if the same adhesive has been used to apply the cover material as
is used in pasting down the endpaper.

Leather covered books should not be left long in a press. They should be
given a quick nip in the nipping press and then left to dry, under a
weighted board, for at least a couple of days, longer during wet weather.

Betty