Re: Hello - boards - moisture

>My question is: how do you know what the grain of the
>board is? Rag board (which I try to use when I can), from what I can tell,
>doesn't seem to have a discernable grain. Am I just missing it?
>Thanks.
>Mary Cromer
>Southwest Virginia

There are a few things one can do to make life easier for themselves.

Almost all binders board is grain long (Davey)
Mark the board with a series of parallel lines indicating grain.
When you have scraps mark them immediately.

No mark, no biggie.

flex the board by taking equal lengths and bending. It'll flex easier in
one direction than the other. That's your grain.

I'm not sure about mat board but the same technique should work.

When making up your boards and covering, ALWAYS keep the grains aligned. If
you cross-grain, make sure they're balanced. Example, core grain short,
lining on BOTH sides grain long. If you don't balance your board won't just
warp in one way, but twist.

If you make your boards right, when you cover the case it's natural for the
board to warp one way. (in gluing, the cloth/paper expands. Upon drying, it
contracts, pulling the board. Your pastedown will hopefully counteract that
pull and you'll end up with a flat board. If it doesn't, you might need to
apply a counterlining before putting down the pastedown. The type of
adhesive will also make a difference. Paste (very high in water will cause
the material to stretch further than PVA... Get to know your adhesives.

Drying. I usually let my cases stand to airdry as I make them. Before
putting them flat underweight for a while I'll flex them (gently) the way I
want them to be.

When casing in, I check them, glue out the end, put the case down...,
insert a "fence" (piece of cardstock slightly larger then the book) to
absorb moisture and reduce the amount of imprint from the turnings, press
shortly, but firmly using edged boards or boards and plexirods, remove the
fence (replace with a dry one if desired), and then let the book dry under
weight

The end result should be a flat board, though a VERY slight pull to the
inside is OK too.

Peter

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography