Re: Hello - boards - moisture

>Peter, does that mean that you always make a 3-ply board? Do you use a
>lighter weight stock on the outsides? Otherwise, it seems to mee the board
>would be too thick.

No, not at all. For most "general binding" I use a single piece, grain
parallel to spine. For large books fine bindings, especially vellum, I'm
likely to build up the boards. For your average size book a board could be
40pt core with two linings of stonehenge ca 10-15 pt. Sometimes I might
even take a piece of board and simply counterline (parallel or cross) with
paper. Remember you don't need to adhere the same board/paper to itself,
but can mix. The important thing is that it's balance. For every action,
there is an equal and opposite reaction. Different materials will react
differently, but it's up to us to really get to know how they react which
is why experimenting is important, and fun.

p.

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography