Hot stamping

A while back, several commented on their method of hot stamping. One person
said that they first blind stamp, then gold foil, then gold foil again, and
then the blind stamp again to burnish what they just stamped.
 I am curious about this. I generally blind stamp, then hit it twice with the
gold foil, but I have not hit it again to "burnish." Is there an advantage to
doing this? I am just curious to know if I am missing something. Thanks. JT