Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 9 Feb 2000 to 10 Feb 2000 (#2000-40)

Yes, a table saw or a band saw can be used successfully to trim books.
After all, wood and paper have much in common. However, a radial saw works
better, since it is easier to hold the book in place and move the saw blade
than to move a stack of paper past a saw blade.
         Use a fine-toothed blade, eg. one designed to cut plywood, and
replace it as soon as it gets even a bit dull. The ground-up marble in
paper quickly takes the edge off of any cutting tool, including a
guillotine blade.
         Hold a piece of wood on top of the stack of paper and cut through
the wood and the paper.
         The vibration of the saw blade produces a faint pattern in the cut
edge which I find quite attractive.
         The disadvantage is the production of paper dust, which, of
course, the guillotine does not create. A vacuum pickup don the saw
designed for wood chips works reasonably well to collect this dust.
Rupert