Re: non-toxic laquer thinner substitute

Not to minimize the dangers of lacquer thinner - I understand it kills
brain cells and definitely affects the nervous system with prolonged
exposure - it is not carcinogenic that I know of. No question that it
should be avoided where possible. Acetone, one of the five components of
lacquer thinner, is chenically simpler compound with much less danger
associated. It can sometimes be used for applications using lacquer
thinner, like xerox transfers. (For those who are about to jump in with
recommendations of oil of wintergreen for transfers, you should know that
it, too, has been found to be dangerous to the human body, possibly more
dangerous than acetone.)

John Risseeuw
Arizona State University