Re: spines off magazines

>When binding magazines, or most books these days, commercial binders will
>chop the spines, usually in a guillotine prior to perfect binding (Double
>fan adhesive)<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt0044.html>. Sewing
>magazines through the fold
><http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt0638.html> is impractical in
>aalmost any setting, takes longer, and is more expensive. In addition, the
>signatures would be far too think to allow the book to be properly rounded
>and backed
><http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/search-don?rounding+backing>...
>Perfect binding, while not always perfect is a vast improvement over
>oversewing <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt2412.html>. Only thing
>is, you cant do it to sewn/stapled "signatures."
><http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt3109.html>. That's why the spines
>come off...
>
>Definitions come from Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books online at
>Conservation Online (CoOL) at <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/don.html>.
>
>p.

        I just want to step in here and say that when you refer to perfect
binding I believe that you mean double fan adhesive binding, which I see
you mention in the first paragraph.  However, perfect binding is
exclusively a soft cover, or paper cover, binding.  It's the process that
brings us the paperback novel.  Double fan binding is used, mostly, for
hard cover binding.

        Aside from the cover the biggest differences between perfect
binding and double fan adhesive binding are the ammount of glule applied,
the depth of the notches made in the book (these allow for deeper glue
penetration), and a fan bound book has backlining (super, crash, mull,
etc.) while a perfect bound book is just pages and a paper cover glued
together.

        Concerning the hand sewing of periodicals, you are correct that
this does not happen very often in the commercial setting.  However we do
have customers who request this on certain volumes and we have never had
any real problem rounding or backing any such volume...well once, but that
was a book 3 inches thick made up of four issues.  Otherwise most titles
have issues that are small enough where rounding and backing works just
fine.

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed,
but nature does not depend on us.
We are not the only experiment.

~ R. Buckminster Fuller ~

Duncan