Re: Binding magazine sets

Businesses that use a large number of catalogs often have a rack-like
assembly with wires to hold the individual catalogs.  The wires run from
the head of the catalog to the tail where they can be attached.  With a
stapled publication it is best to run the wire along the centerfold
gutter.

About 30 years ago I developed a way of binding journals that is similar
to the above.  I took a piece of corrugated cardboard and cut it so that
it was the height of the periodical by 2x the width plus the depth of the
magazines to be housed.  This was cut so that the corrugations ran
parallel to the spine.  Attachment of the journals was by means of paper
clips.  The curved part of the clip lay in the magazine with the straight
piece going into a corrugation at both head and tail.  I liked this system
as it was cheap, easy to make, the journals lay flat, and they could be
easily removed.  I covered the cardboard with contact paper.

While archival cardboard was not part of my knowledge base lo those many
years, it could be used today.

I hope that the above description of my method makes sense.  It is a good
way of giving shelved periodicals a neat appearance without a lot of
effort.

R*

Department of Psychology
UMBC