Re: Lavender water and books...

This discussion of fragrant additions to books and papers brings to mind
Patrick Suskind's novel 'Perfume' in which the main character is employed at
one point in the Paris shop of a leather manufacturer...where they work hard
to develop (and steal) the perfume formulas used for scenting the
leathers...It's a good, creepy and historical read, following this one
fellow's nose...

Leathers for various uses were steeped in fragrant oils throughout history.
Perhaps we're just moving in that direction from that initial discussion of
wintergreen. It does reflect our tendency to repeat history, ie the current
craze for "aromatherapy" products, which have in fact existed for centuries.
Lavender is one of the most classic fragrances of all - and a medicinal which
has been used for many hundreds of years. My own researches into the field,
currently an interest in soapmaking, show that it is indeed a "top"note, but
one which lingers more like a middle or low note. There are many lavenders,
some with scents much more strongly medicinal, while others even tend toward
the softer ("rounder") vanilla range.

I believe a gentle spritz of flower water on a blotter, which is then
inserted between the pages of a book and lightly pressed, would infuse a
subtle fragrance without doing much damage...just be sure the text's inks are
not water-based!

Paula Marie Gourley